Location: Val Marie, SK
There are NEW camping opportunities available at Grasslands National Park that balance comfort with a rustic prairie feel!
reservation.pc.gc.ca or 1-877-737-3783
Applies to: All Grasslands National Park campgrounds, oTENTiks, Tipis, and West Block Backcountry camping. In the event the campgrounds are full, unserviced overflow camping is available by self-registration.
*For East Block backcountry camping, reserve at: 1-306-476-2018
Frenchman Valley Campground -West block (GPS: 49 9’0.9″N 107 30’30.48″W)
~ 1 ½ hours south of Swift Current
With a view of the Frenchman River, rolling hills and roaming bison, the perfect destination for your front country camping experiences. 32 km SE of Val Marie.
- 20 tent/RV campsites all electrical (20,30 and 50 amp)
- 1 wheel chair accessible site
- Picnic tables, fire pits, vault toilets, potable water, RV sani dump, Wi-Fi
- Coulee Centre cook shelter – central location for West Block park programs.
Rock Creek Campground – East Block (GPS: 49 4’15.85″N 106 31’46.92″W)
~ 2 hours south of Moose Jaw.
Amazing skies day and night, the leopard frogs’ symphony at dusk, and the meadowlarks’ serenade at dawn. Enjoy prairie elegance. 29 km SW of Wood Mountain.
- Renewed campground
- 24 tent/RV electrical campsites (all 50 amp)
- Picnic tables, fire pits, vault toilet, potable water, RV sani dump, Wi-Fi
- Summer Kitchen
- On-site visitor centre – central location for East Block guided programs.
We’ve got you covered! A spacious blend of a tent and an A-frame cabin equipped with beds and furniture on a raised floor. An easy and relaxing way to experience camping. In proximity to toilets, potable water taps and kitchen shelters. Reservations required.
Inside each tent: Electricity, small heater, lantern, sleeping area for up to 6 people. Please bring your own bedding and cooking supplies.
On each campsite: BBQ, fire pit, picnic table, Adirondack chairs.
West Block – Frenchman Valley Campground
4 oTENTik units available (1 pet-friendly)
East Block – Rock Creek Campground
8 NEW oTENTik units available (1 wheel-chair accessible & 1 pet-friendly)
West Block – Tipi accommodations are located at the Two Trees Day Use Areas 13 km South of Val Marie.
GPS: 49 10’50.14″ 107 41’16.21″W
East Block – Tipi accommodations are located in the Rock Creek Campground.
Equestrian Visits (aka Horse Camping)
Horse camping is available at two locations South of the Belza Day Use Area in the West Block, and at the Rock Creek Campground in the East Block. Area includes: information kiosk, horse pens, vault toilet, water troughs, and manure receptacle. First come, first served. Check-in required. Click here for more information: http://www.visitcypresshills.ca/what-to-do/summer-activities/horseback-riding/bring-your-own-horse-byoh/
Back Country Camping
Drop your pack following an exhilarating hike. Pitch a tent where no one has camped before – well, maybe not for a thousand years! Look forward to the sunset, and perhaps hear a coyote howl. The park is yours to explore when Back Country Camping.
- Reserve in advance through the Parks Canada Reservations service or register in person at the Visitor Centre
- Choose a Backcountry Zone and park at designated trailhead
- Plan to camp out of view of roads and trails – a minimum of 1 km – as there are no designated backcountry sites
- No open fires are permitted
- Conditions vary year-round, but plan for fire bans (including camp stoves) in summer. Contact the Visitor Centre for details
- Plan to carry sufficient water for your stay. All surface water in the area is unfit for human consumption. Treating water by boiling, filtering or adding iodine may remove some bacteria, but will not help with the salinity
- Pack out everything that was packed in
- GPS units are recommended in some backcountry areas and are available to rent at the Visitor Centre
Save the Date:
August 14th-18th – Fossil Fever (East Block) – Uncover secrets of the past in the rugged badlands of the Grasslands National Park East Block with the Royal Saskatchewan Museum Paleo team. Click here for more info: http://www.visitcypresshills.ca/events/fossil-fever/
August 17th – Badlands Blast (East Block) – Dig into an extravaganza of fossil fun for all and hop on the wagon to view the badlands! Come for the day, stay for the weekend. Click here for more info: http://www.visitcypresshills.ca/events/badlands-blast/
Choose Your Own Adventure:
Drive the scenic Ecotour road through the West Block
Fireside Chats, Stories and S`more – Friday evenings with a park interpreter
Guided Programs (May/Jun): Where the Buffalo Roam; Hike in the Park; Cowboy Coffee
Guided Programs (Jul/Aug): Where the Buffalo Roam; Hike in the Park; Cowboy Coffee;
Kids Programs (Jul/Aug): Junior Naturalist and Where the Buffalo Roam
Dark Sky Programming: Astronomy: Beyond the Big Dipper
Kayaking with Carefree Adventures
Contact Us For More Info:
Grasslands National Park
May 17 – Sept 2nd daily (West & East Blocks) 9:00 a.m. -7:-00 p.m.
Sept 3 – October 7, daily (West & East Blocks) 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Frenchman Valley Campground Kiosk
May 17 – Sept 2 daily (West Block) 4:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
West Block Visitor Centre (in Val Marie) 306.298.2257 (Toll free: 1-877-345-2257)
East Block McGowan Visitor Centre (in Rock Creek Campground) 306.476.2018
The park is always open. Fees apply. Please visit the website for details.