Location: Cypress Hills
Ice-Fishing is a popular activity in Cypress Hills. Anglers should check the Hunting and Fishing Guide for seasons and licenses before coming to the park.
Saskatchewan – 2018 Anglers Guide: http://www.visitcypresshills.ca/assets/2018-Anglers-Guide.cdr_.pdf
Cypress Hills – Saskatchewan Popular Ice-Fishing Areas
Loch Leven in the Centre Block is stocked each year and offers anglers Brook and Cutthroat Trout. The most effective method for fishing. Before ice-fishing on Loch Leven please call the Park at 306 662 5411 for ice conditions.
Cypress Lake (located about 42 km south of the Centre Block) is another locale that has great fishing. A large lake suitable for boating, the Cypress Lake Recreation Area features a fish cleaning station, dock, boat launch, free rustic camping, and rustic toilet facilities. Species caught here are walleye (predominant), brown trout and the occasional jack.
Cypress Hills, Alberta
- Ice fishing is allowed at Elkwater Lake (pike and perch), Reesor Lake (rainbow trout) and Spruce Coulee Reservoir (brook trout).
- Check the Alberta Guide to Sportfishing Regulations for details on regulations and restrictions.
- For your safety
- It is extremely important to check ice conditions before walking on the ice.
- According to the Canadian Red Cross, ice should be at least 20 centimetres thick for group activities.
- Use caution on ice! Hazardous and thin sections can exist at any time during winter.
- Go prepared for weather changes, wild animals, equipment breakdowns and accidents.
- Review winter safety tips.
- For information on road accessibility to Reesor Lake and Spruce Coulee Reservoir, check Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park News or phone the Visitor Centre at 403-893-3833.